Wednesday 13 June 2012

The Girl in Mundu Blouse

Hello Readers,

      Today was just a usual day like any other. Left early to office as there was some sort of procession due to which roads were to be blocked off by traffic police. Saranya decided to take the day off.

Returning home, I was surprised to see Saranya. Evidently she had found some malayali textile shop some where near and been out shopping. She wasn't dressed in the nightie that she was wearing in the morning; She wore a kavi mundu and blouse. I have seen her wear white (off-white/cream colored) mundu. I have seen her in lungi numerous time. But this was new! I dont wear kavi mundu at home, I prefer lungi. If its some auspicious occasion or special occasion , I wear normal white mundu. I have never seen her dad wear a kavi mundu too. So this was new to her.

She said , she was bored at home and went for out with plans to do little shopping. Luckily she decided to wear set-mundu this time around as she was planning to explore a bit ; she didnt want to end up seen, by some malayali, dressed in lungi blouse and thorthu. She spotted this malayali store few Kilometres from our nagar and decided to check it out. Among the other malayali stuff sold in that shop, she found lungi, kasavu mundu, kavi mundu and thorthu. She didnt waste time thinking and bought a kavi mundu and two lungis. She also bought three thorthu (these were colored and checked ones and the ones she usually use were the white ones).

So here she was wearing her new kavi mundu and blouse. She looked gorgeous as usual. Be it be lungi or mundu; when she is dressed in them she has this eternal beauty of a village damsel. "engane und?" (how is it?): she asked me with a smile . I am sure she knew my answer perfectly well.

Kavi mundu is the closest thing to lungi that a girl can wear without being stared at. It has got the ,well lets say 'standards' of normal mundu. Though colored it is not 'degraded' to a lungi status. "ithum blousum ittu nee aalkarude munbil varumo? atho lungi udukumbol ullapole malayalikale kandaal oodi olikumo?" ( Are you ready to face malayalis wearing this and blouse or are you gonna shy away like you do when you are wearing lungi?) ,I asked.
"emm...nokate. penkuttykal annengil eniku preshnamilla...anungal annengil chilappozhe patu...maarthu thorthillathe enthayalumilla..." (lets see. May be I will if its just girls ..not sure if Iwill do it in front of men..definitely not without a thorthu over my bosom). A fun evening. Took loads of photos (none will be shared here, sorry.).

Mundu Blouse : Simple, Elegant, Beautiful and Sexy

P.S:
 I am not the kind of guy who wants to show off his fiancee to others. I am not  a pervert. I dont mind her wearing lungi blouse and thorthu in front of others because it is just a dress like any other. It is not equivalent to exhibiting. 


 Please feel free to share your thoughts. Comment: appreciate or criticize; lets have a discussion. 

8 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to read about Saranya and her love for lungi blouse. I always wanted to try out a lungi but never gathered courage to do so. I was always shy. lungi uduth arengilum kandaal enthu parayum ennoru pediyum. After reading your blog and reading about Saranya, I finally gathered courage to buy myself a lungi last day. I wore it with a T-shirt yesterday. I stay with my friends and they were all surprised at first but then they didnt care much about it. I hope this is just a beginning. I loved the experience. Thanks to Saranya and you.
    - Nithya S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow!! Thats great news for us. ini ippo koode thamasikunnavar thanne lungi uduth kanda sthithiku pathukane blousinoppam lungi uduthu noku. Try it out after you get back home after a day you wore saree.

      Thanks for sharing and for reading my blog. Keep commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. what if girls wear only thorthu mundu and blouse that would be nice ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a time like that... but now , we can only wish for it. I got my darling wife who wears lungi/mundu..and there are many other girls who do the same..

      Delete
  3. Hey rm...so i searched for mundu...and some terms came into occurance such as neriyathum, namboothiri and mulakkacha..i got the meaning of the first from wiki...but never got the last twos....what are these and like mundu is there a difference between modern style and ethnic style??....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Namboothiri is a caste (priest caste) and they even still prefer mundu at homes.. like men wear mundu and women wear mundum neriathum.. Back in days women used to upper caste women used to wear mulakkacha.. which simply putting is wearing a mundu at chest level. Back in days women wear mulakacha without blouse but these days, old namboothiri women wear those with blouse during poojas and other religious rituals.
      -RM

      Delete
  4. Namboothiri is the name of the school of style (which, in this case is a caste), mulakkacha is the name of the style itself.
    But I admit, the women look absolutely wearing mulakkacha without a blouse. You can see a few samples in the Malayali period films.
    Personally, the mulakkacha style should be revived, and the ladies should wear blouseless mulakkacha at traditional functions, since it is a traditional style of dressing. However, I guess there will be no takers for my idea because the women will feel sensitive to expose their bare back, decolletage, shoulders and arms, while a few of the men may complicate matters by staring staring at them.
    Still, it will be absolutely gorgeous if the mulakkacha is worn with a neckpiece and an armlet jewellery, but of course, sans the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please add a video how to wear lungi blouse it's helps to me and others when didn't know how to wear it ..so please add a video how to wear lungi and blouse

    ReplyDelete