Thursday 8 March 2012

Lungi Blouse : Sri Lankan style 2

Hi,

     Last week I stumbled upon few photos of some SriLankan actresses which were taken at the sets of some movie. They were dressed in the traditional SriLankan dress that is quite similar to our own Lungi and Blouse. As in my previous post, here too I want to stress the point that those girls were not ashamed or embarrassed to wear it. But in our country, girls are embarrassed to wear something very similar. I blame the movies. B-grade movies have given a really bad image to lungi blouse attire. Sad!

 And unlike in Kerala, I think in Sri Lanka, this dress is still accepted and worn by girls and women. That is something to be appreciated. One of my Sri Lankan friend said that even though they were all sorts of modern dresses, at home they dont mind wearing this. They have a different name for this attire; it escapes me right now. She said she and all her friends still wear this dress often. I can only hope our girls will ever develop such a mentality with lungi/mundu blouse.

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actresses in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actresses in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actresses in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse

Actress in Lungi Blouse
Here are the photos that I found. Feel free to comment and correct me if I have got some facts wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rohit,
    These girls seems not beautiful when compare to the beauty of malayali women in those traditional fashions.
    our beautiful gographic landscape and those beautiful women wearing lungi blouse and thorthu are more charming....
    but our film makers and costume designers are not recognizing that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course they dont look like our malayali girls..but this is the closest you can get. I wasn't stressing on their beauty, but their willingness to wear their traditional dress without being embarrassed or considering it to be cheap. I hear that guys in Sri Lanka are as fascinated to see their girls in these dresses as we are for our girls. My friend from Sri Lanka is from a rich family, yet they wear this dress, unlike here where lungi blouse is considered as an attire used by poor and the lower class.
    It is a sad fact.

    ReplyDelete