Tuesday 27 November 2012

A week end in Kottayam

Dear readers,

     Its been long time since I wrote anything here (except of my post about me getting married). We were really busy. Loads of visitors, family functions..we never got time to rest. We spend two weeks after the wedding visiting relatives. It was fun but nothing much that I need to be sharing here, after all there wasn't anything related to the topic of this blog.


One day we decided to visit one of my friend's mom (my friend lives in Qatar with his wife), Mary aunty. She wanted to come for our wedding but she couldn't make it. So we drove to her place in Kottayam, a beautiful estate; where she lives with one of her relative lady who takes care of her.
She is lovely woman, very sweet, very traditional. I love her like my own mom. I had been there countless times. She was delighted to see Saranya. She wanted us to stay for the week end and we did. But unfortunately or fortunately we hadn't planned for this and we didnt have anything to change into.

She gave me a lungi, probably her son's, for me to change into and said she'll find something for Saranya to wear. I was watching TV when Saranya came calling for me for lunch and to my surprise she was dressed in a chatta and lungi. Accompanying her came Mary aunty and asked me how she looked. I just couldn't take my eyes off her , that I didnt reply.  While trying out aunty's nighties , all of them where loose for her, she found aunty's chatta. Aunty jokingly suggested her to try it out , never expecting her to, and she wore it.

She looks stunning in any traditional dress, be it be set-mundu, lungi-blouse or this, chatta-lungi.

"Girls dont like wearing these. Make in my younger days we used to wear only this..." , aunty said.

All through the week end Saranya wore chatta and lungi. She wasn't shy walking around in aunty's estate in it. I bet some of the laborers who work there would have been wondering who she is.

A fantastic week end with my lovely Mary aunty and as an added perk  I got see my darling in chatta lungi.

- RM
 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Rohit,

    When I read this post about chatta and mundu, I felt like sharing about a closness that lead my sister to start wearing this traditional dress till this day.

    My grandmother was a traditional lady. Even as time passed when women of her age, started wearing housecoats instead of traditional dress, she still wore chatta and mundu. She was close with my younger sister and the closness has inspired my sister to start wearing chatta and lungi at home. She started wearing when she was in 11th std and she has no fear of wearing in front of anyone or her friends when they come home for visit. It has been two years since my grandmother's death and my sister started wearing her chatta mundu in her memory. So she wears chatta and lungi during the day and chatta and mundu at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for your share....not only for kerala...i think we all should accept our traditional dresses....but i have two questions...what is chatta??...and what's the difference between lungi and mundu....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.
      Chatta is a kind of long blouse used by (now old generation ) Christian women.
      While both Lungi and Mundu are wrap arounds, lungis come in variety of colors and have patterns in them, while mundu are usually white/off white without any patterns or designs.

      Delete