Sunday 29 March 2015

Reel Life vs Real Life

Hi all,

I have shared many posts of this traditional rustic attire from movies. We have seen plenty of actresses and models wear this dress.
But these weren't from their real life; these were part of their reel life. Most actresses wore it during song sequences or for scenes when their character is supposed to be dressed in lungi. Same are the cases with models; they were it for photo-sessions or for advertisements.

Lets talk about how it is in real life. I am pretty sure none of them wear lungi blouse in real life. The dress is very very rare. Mostly worn by women over 50 and rarely worn my women under 40.

It is like there are more men who like these dresses than women. I personally know many (including myself) who love to see women dressed in lungi blouse. I have been one of the lucky ones; my wife too likes this dress and fortunately she used to wear this even before we started a relationship. I think it is safe to believe that this isn't that common; infact this is very rare.

I had planned for a post where reader of this blog can share their experience with this attire. I had communicated with few of them(who mail me) via mail. I will soon share that post. Mean while this post if for the other readers to share their experiences : Men , share what makes you like this attire, tell us what you expect from your better half on this and their thoughts on this. Women, please share your thoughts on this attire and your experience wearing this (if any). Feel free to comment as anonymous.


This pic of Sona is the only one of any actress where they have worn lungi blouse thorthu at their home/privacy and not in a movie set or for photo session.


- RM

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rohit,
    I am suprised to find a blog dedicated to lungi blouse.
    My experience with this dress is very limited. We used to have a maid in our home who used to wear lungi blouse. This was a decade ago and back then she was in her 40s. I had worn it twice; once for a drama in my college and once for a fancy dress competition when I was in my 4th std or so. I never thought of it as a big deal until my husband was all suprised seeing my photos from the competition and drama. He really likes the dress and had insisted me to wear it for him but I never agreed to it. Though I wear his lungi or mundu once in while, it is always with churidhar top or with a tshirt and never with blouse.
    I wonder if there are other women who wear it like your wife.
    Regards,
    Sunitha Nandhakumar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to wear this dress and my husband too. He told me to wear and now i feel comfort in this dress. we love village culture more than cities

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rohit,
    I came across this blog unexpectedly. I like your view and concept of wearing traditional dresses like mundu-blouse or set-saree etc. In fact I have insisted my wife to wear mundu-blouse in home so that it reminds me of my house in village and elegance of the attire.
    But she is not comfortable of even getting out our house to backyard in this attire. When I enquired the reason for this, she gave me a worrying reply, this type of attire is worn by old women or servants or agricultural workers, and it is not worn by married women of good reputed family.
    In my view if we want to get more support for wearing this kind of traditional attire, we need to change our mindset. We need to stop peeking eyes of people, who even won’t spare staring a women on beach who is drenched till knee length. I think mundu and blouse is much neater than wearing bikinis and other odd dresses.




    The view expressed here is a personal opinion please don’t think as insult on anybody or any section of society.

    Regards,
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete