Wednesday 25 April 2012

History!

Hi all,

     Sorry for the delay in blogging , I was quite busy. Had a wonderful Vishu kani in Pune. Flew back home the very day with by sweetheart ; a week's stay ; now back in Pune but tied down with huge amount of work. 

This is post is specifically to enlighten my reader about my lifestyle and my fiancee's. I wont be giving out any personal details but I'll make sure that you guys and girls( yes , girls. I was surprised to find female readers for my blog. Thank you!) get a clear picture of how my fiancee and I got into this whole stuff of traditional wears. The mails I got from you readers are mostly concerning about this issue. Female readers were really good critics (once again, thank you.) ; one even went on to accuse me as a fake, but now she is in correspondence with my fiancee.

So my dear readers, my name is Rohit Menon. I am a software engineer based in Pune. My fiancee is Saranya Ramanadhan. Our families had known each other for long time. We were friends right from the time we were kids.

I have told my story in my first post of this blog. Here's Saranya's side of story.

She is from a mixed kind of family like mine. By mixed  I mean, they are neither orthodox or modern; more like good from both sides. She lived in the city not far from my place there and her ancestral place is like 20 minutes journey from my ancestral place. Our families always invited each other for every little functions.
   She got a family temple in her tharavadu and the eldest daughter of the family is supposed to perform the poojas on special occasions. During this pooja the girl (my fiancee) is supposed to were dresses that are not stitched and are brand new (kodi vastram). Back in the days, it was performed wearing only Mundu and melmundu; but now, they do it wearing mundum neriyathum. So right from the time she was 10 years old she had been part of this ritual and had the habit of wearing mundum neriyathum. Her grand mother always insisted she wore set mundu when at tharavadu (mostly during the pooja season) and by the time she was in high school she was only allowed to wear set-mundu when at tharavadu. She was quite used to have people see her in set-mundu right from an early age. She used to wear saree perfectly when she was just 15 (now a days girls who are 25-30 doesn't know how to wear a saree).

 I had seen her many times in that attire and she was fine with it. When she moved to Banglore (where I was then working and she was studying), she continued to wear set-mundu most of the time when she was in her apartment. At some point she had started using thorthu instead of neriyathu(mel mundu). I was a frequent visitor and had stayed back couple of times to help her out with her project and when her family came to visit her. She started wearing my lungis that I had left there. She found it much practical than mundu as mundus get dirtier faster as they are white. And that is how my Saranya started wearing Lungi Blouse. She isn't shy to wear it in my presence or in presence of her female friends and didn't mind if some Kanadiga guy saw her in it. She is still shy to wear it in presence of malayali guys. (Though twice she had  been seen in accidentally).

Now we have moved to Pune and are staying together. She does wear Lungi blouse more frequently now-a-days since there aren't any malayalis staying close by.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time since we met. congratulation and convey my greetings to ur sweet heart also.any way hats off to ur girl, who accepts the traditions and rituals of our state. were ever u stay u must keep ur traditions at heart. any way i am also happy that some one is coming to my life also. any way lets hope for good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dj. And Good luck to you. We have decided to keep talking and inspiring people to adapt the traditional way; not asking them to completely move into it but to make traditional dresses too as a common dress. I'll be soon posting about a conversation my fiancee and I had with one of her friends from her college.

      Delete