Friday 2 December 2011

What is wrong?




Mythili in mundu blouse
Mythili in mundu blouse
Hi there,

   I'll be concentrating on lungi-blouse in this blog because that attire definitely needs acceptance in the society. And I must confess I am a fan of it because of various reasons.
  These days I happen to notice that there are a few movies in which the lead actress has appeared in Lungi/mundu-blouse. This is as the part of the script and not to add the 'glam' factor (I just don't understand why the 'glam' factor; for god sake its just like any other dress). More recent ones are the  Palerimanikam and Neelathamara.
Mythili in mundu blouse
Archana in mundu blouse
In both the movies the young actresses have worn mundu and blouse without thorthu as in those days. They look beautiful in the dress and I should say that they DON'T LOOK SLUTTY at all. I hope that the message is conveyed to all who have watched these movies.
The girl who played the lead role of Manikam in Palerimanikam, Mythili, was asked by her director to practice wearing mundu-blouse at home so that she won't look weird on screen in that attire. And I think she did follow it because she seemed natural on screen in it. Which means she wore that dress at home, and none found it weird. Or nobody thought she has become slutty.
I know a few girls who wouldn't mind to wear mundu-blouse at home, that includes my cousin sister too. For them its just a dress, like saree or set-mundu which they wear once in a while at home. Only thing that keeps them from not wearing mundu-blouse is this false image associated with it. People shouldn't be so narrow minded, after all we are criticizing one of our traditional dress. At the same time we accept the dressing styles equally questionable (if mundu/lungi-blouse can be questioned for modesty then so can all other be) from other states or even continent. If girls want to wear it, let them wear it. Leave them alone. Don't point fingers or say it is inappropriate to wear it, because it is not inappropriate.

When I visited my cousin Shailaja last week with my idea of this blog she was ready to share her experiences for me. She, unlike me, grew up in village in Palakat. She was used to seeing this kind of attire every day until she moved to Ernakulam town. Back in her native place she was used to wearing set-mundu (Mundum Neriyathum) everyday at home. She only wore churidhars when she went for shopping or any other purpose outside the village, to the town. She was brought up like that, her parents are very traditional. She never complained.
"Its all about getting used to.", she said. She had a hard time adjusting to city life of Ernakulam when she moved in here as a part of job." I was under dressed for the city , thats what my room mates said. True it was I just had a few churidhars to wear to office and set-mundu for the hostel. Absence of jeans and kurtas in my cupboard surprised them. I had to adjust, so I bought few new churidhars for office and nightie for hostel as per my room mates suggestion. Churidhars were fine, I have worn them but nightie was a disaster. I have never worn one until that day. I just wasn't used to wearing it. I was comfortable in my set mundu. But now I am okay. I do wear nighties but I wear set-mundu every alternate days."
Mythili in mundu blouse
She recalls seeing her room mate surprised when once she saw her in mundu blouse (set mundu without the mel mundu or neriyath). "It was normal for me. At home , you have seen me so plenty of times haven't you? At home it was normal not to use the mel mundu all the time. I preferred it so when I am alone or in comfortable company. So I was just being normal that evening and my room mate was all surprised. She said it is not good to wear such dress ,it is not appropriate. I said its all fine and told her its just for the room, I wont go out like this, I will wear the melmundu if I have to go out. To comfort her I wore a thorthu over my blouse. She wasn't completely happy but she was okay. I just couldn't understand why? It is fine for her if I wore nightie and even walk out of the hostel to the near by shop. But mundu-blouse was unacceptable. That was a lesson I learned after I came here. Now that I have moved to an apartment, I have wear only mundu blouse when I am with my self but still change into nightie if I have a visitor."

This is RM signing off.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This is officially the biggest comment I 've ever got. Thanks!

      Your comment might sound like a work of fiction but it may very well may be true. Some of my male college friends who were shy to were lungi at home felt free to wear it when we were in the hostel. Their families never knew about it. I dont have an explanation for their shyness but its true. This same scenario can be extended (good lord, my Java terms are now part of my speech)to girls too. There is good possibility of girls trying out lungi blouse in privacy (they do see it in the movies and wanted to try it out or their bfs might have asked them to try it out too: just the possible ways they got to it). They put up a hate-face in public about it and might be using it in privacy. If there are secret admirers for this dress, they should come forward in public.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. People do share even their darkest secrets with close friends. I appreciate you sharing this with us. Feel free to read and comment on other posts too. And keep sharing such interesting experiences.

      Delete